Friday, March 6, 2009

I Corinthians

9:19-23:
"For though I be free from all men, yet I have made myself a servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; to them that are without law, as without the law (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak I became as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all tings to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you."

10:30-33:
"For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that which I give thanks? Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the Church of God: even as I please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they might be saved."

When Paul speaks of becoming (or being made) "all things to all men, that I might by all means save some" he is obviously not speaking of breaking any of God's laws, nor of doing anything against his own conscience. When Paul says "all things' in chapter 9 he means "all things" that "profit many, that they might be saved" (chapter 10). It will not save or profit anyone for Paul to disobey "Christ's law". It is for the believers to "judge all things" (2:15) in order to decide what course of action will be beneficial to the individual lost.


On a side note: I thought of using not getting a tattoo as an example of not disobeying Christ's law; but I couldn't remember the particular verse. So I googled it, and came up with for and against arguments that all seemed very convincing (I hate that I am easily swayed!); so I decided to go for an opinion from some Pastor that I really trusted. I went to John MacArthur; couldn't find anything for or against. So I went to John Piper: he says it can be fine so long as your motives and heart are right before God; so long as it is not a means of finding fulfillment apart from God; and that individuals must decide for themselves. I am not quite sure that I can digest that just yet, it goes against everything I have always believed. Anyway, just found that interesting (and unsettling!).

No comments: